Jen's Preventative Guide for keeping Healthy!
The cooler air brings lots of opportunity for getting SICK. Here are my tried and true recommendations to STAY HEALTHY all winter long!
A healthy immune system FIGHTS against all the germs that we come into contact with and is your BEST protection from bacteria and viruses. It is your first defense against getting sick. But YOU MUST HELP your immune system STAY healthy.
DO REGULAR MAINTENANCE:
1. GET ENOUGH SLEEP. This is so important! 8 hours+ each night. (Your mama is right!) Figure out a way to build this into your schedule…silence your phone.
2. HYDRATE! This helps your voice and your body!
I carry a reusable water bottle with me at all times.
I sip it all day long, and refill it 2-3 times.
I keep a glass of water by my bed to sip at night. In the morning, the first thing that I do is drink a tall 8oz. glass of water (before I drink my coffee!).
During the changing cooler season, I put an “Emergen-C” packet of my favorite flavor giving me a burst of Vit. C to my immune system first thing in the morning. If I’m feeling dehydrated or my throat feels a bit scratchy, this is my go-to morning action.
3. LESS SUGAR = Healthier Immune System. Sugar actually works against your immune system. It takes nutrients away from your cells. You have to work that much harder to put them back into your cells.
4. Some kind of MODERATE EXERCISE: walking, running, yoga, dance. Find something that you can bring into your life that brings you healthy movement.
5. ZICAM! If I start to feel a little under the weather, I start to use Zicam. It doesn't get rid of the germs that are there, but it does prevent new ones from growing. It really helps to stave off a full blown cold. Your body is constantly fighting off germs, HELP IT!
IF YOU GET SICK:
1. “Throat Coat TEA with Lemon Echinacea" by Traditional Medicinals is my go to tea choice. Steep it in hot water, covered, for at least 10 minutes before drinking to get full benefits.
2. ECHINACEA Capsules or better yet, an Echinacea tincture. You can find these at a health foods store such as “Savemart” off of Fruitville Pike or “Radiance" downtown. (tincture pictured below)
3. Elderberry Syrup (organic), a tablespoon a day for maintenance, and two a day if you are sick.
4. NO SUGAR. When I am sick, I say no to treats completely. indulging will only increase my time of being sick, not help me get over it.
In terms of your upcoming voice lesson: If you are really sick, stay home and rest. (Please let me know at least 24 hours in advance if you’re able to!).
If you just have a cold, or a scratchy throat, but feel well enough to go out, please do come to your lesson! There is much we can still work on when your voice is resting or not as strong, including ways we can help to heal and strengthen those vocal cords and learn how to sing through it.
Last but not least, wear a scarf around your neck! Always! It’s not just healthy, it’s fashionable!